Monday 19 January 2015

Keeping it natural and straight

So I posted a picture of my newly relaxed hair on Instagram a day or two ago and a mate of mine asked me how I did it? "Did what," you may ask. Well, how did my hair get so long since my lunch-box days?


I often have braids or a weave in, but I never forget to take care of my real hair beneath the Indian/Brazilian/Malaysian (take your pick) lady's locks.

What I do is, I base my scalp with plain castor oil (or you an mix it with coconut oil if you wish) in between the tracks or rows of braids at least once a week. My problem areas are my temples, so I apply it more regularly there and that's worked out pretty well for me thus far.

I don't use any of the other 'hair foods' or oil moisturisers even at the hairdresser - when I go get my hair relaxed, I take my castor oil and Betadine medicated dandruff shampoo with me and my hairdresser knows exactly what to do with these.(Tip: having a sound relationship with your hairdresser helps too, as some may be offended and think you're trying to get them to charge you less.)

Also, using Mizani as my product of choice has had its perks too.

My hair is on "extension" leave now for the next 2 weeks just to relieve it from the symptoms of traction alopecia that are induced by constantly having our hair in up-do's, braids and weaves.

Hope this was handy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment