Friday 20 September 2013

DIY Denim**

I have had this pair of Levi's jeans for a while now, but I very seldom wear them, so I decided it is time for a few changes. I am a fan of the distressed denim look and figured that the only way for me to start wearing these Levi's jeans on a more regular basis is if I did something about their banal nature. Enter my DIY skills...

BEFORE:
                                         Plain blue Levi's jeans with a turn-up.

THE PROCESS:
 A pair of sharp cosmetic scissors, a sheet of sandpaper, a safety pin and a Minora blade all contribute a bit of magic to the process of ripping, shredding and pulling the threads.
Persistence is key when using sandpaper, as you need to sand down the jeans for a while before you actually start seeing a change, watching each layer coming off merely as fluff.
The Minora blade requires a steady and gentle approach. Going in as you would with a pair of scissors to paper will result in an unflattering rip and fingers full of plasters - these babies are SHARP!




I took a picture from every angle just to make sure it looks good from all angles and not "in-your-face-unflattering-DIY" and I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome.

AFTER:
 
 
 Before I got started I put the pair of jeans on to mark where I want the rips to be. This is strongly advised, as simply distressing by estimation could lead to tares in wrong and inappropriate places. Below, I got the thigh tare in the correct place; not too high and not just above my knee. Above, the knee tare is accurate, as the desired effect has been achieved - the "knee-bend" effect.
 From a side view, there are no flapping pieces of denim, which would give away the DIY-ness of the look.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment